Unlock 5 – Schools and cinemas to be opened from October 15
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Wednesday announced further measures to open up the Indian economy.
Cinemas, theatres, multiplexes will be permitted to open with up to 50 per cent of their seating capacity from October 1, the MHA said in its release.
On reopening of schools and coaching institutions, the Central Government has given the flexibility to state/UT governments to take a decision after October 15. The decision will be taken in consultation with the respective school/institution management, the advisory said.
While the Home Ministry has allowed opening up of more activities in areas outside the containment zones, the lockdown will continue till October 31 in contaminated zones. Social, academic, sports entertainment, cultural, religious, and political functions, and other congregations have been permitted with a ceiling of 100 persons, outside containment zones only.
Salient features of the new guidelines (as per PIB note):
- Cinemas/ theatres/ multiplexes will be permitted to open from Oct 15 with up to 50 per cent of their seating capacity, for which, SOP will be issued by the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting.
- Business to Business (B2B) Exhibitions will be permitted from Oct 15 to open, for which, SOP will be issued by the Department of Commerce.
- Swimming pools being used for training of sportspersons will be permitted (From Oct 15) to open, for which the standard operating procedure (SOP) will be issued by the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports (MoYA&S).
- Entertainment parks and similar places will be permitted to open, for which the SOP will be issued by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW).
- For re-opening of schools and coaching institutions, State/ UT Governments have been given the flexibility to take a decision after October 15, 2020, in a graded manner.
- Online/ distance learning shall continue to be the preferred mode of teaching and shall be encouraged.
- States /UTs will prepare their own SOP regarding health and safety precautions for reopening of schools/ institutions based on the SOP to be issued by the Department of School Education and Literacy (DoSEL), Ministry of Education, Government of India, keeping local requirements in view.
- Social/ academic/ sports/ entertainment/ cultural/ religious/ political functions and other congregations have already been permitted with a ceiling of 100 persons, outside Containment Zones only.
- Lockdown shall continue to be implemented strictly in the Containment Zones till October 31, 2020.
- State/ UT Governments shall not impose any local lockdown (State/ District/ sub-division/City/ village level), outside the containment zones, without prior consultation with the Central Government.
- There shall be no restriction on inter-State and intra-State movement of persons and goods. No separate permission/ approval/ e-permit will be required for such movements.