Rajnath Singh: Disengagement of LAC in phased manner, coordinated and verified way
On Thursday, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said that India and China have maintained communication with each other since last year to resolve the nine-month border standoff in eastern Ladakh.
This statement was made by him while he was speaking in Lok Sabha on the situation of Eastern Ladakh.
“Since September last year, both sides have maintained communication with each other through military and diplomatic channels. Our objective was to effect disengagement and maintain status quo along the LAC (Line of Actual Control) so as to restore peace and tranquillity,” the defence minister said in the Lower House.
“The agreement that we have been able to reach with the Chinese side for disengagement in Pangong lake area envisages that both sides will cease their forward deployments in a phased, coordinated and verified manner,” Singh said in the Lok Sabha.
“We maintained the edge because of the bravery of our armed forces in harsh adverse climatic conditions. Our armed forces proved yet again that territorial integrity of our country remains safe in their hands and their grit and determination is unwavering,” he said while praising the army.
“Our armed forces responded to challenges by unilateral Chinese action and have shown valour and courage on both south and north bank of Pangong Tso. Many strategic points were identified and our troops positioned themselves at locations very important from our point of view,” the minister added.
On Wednesday, for peace and tranquillity to be restored all along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China, the armoured units of the Indian army and the People`s Liberation Army (PLA), have started to withdraw from north and south banks of Pangong Tso after nine months of confrontation.
“I am happy to inform the House today that as a result of our well thought out approach and sustained talks with the Chinese side, we have now been able to reach an agreement on disengagement on the north and south bank of the Pangong Lake,” he had said. “It has also been agreed to convene the next meeting of the Senior Commanders within 48 hours after the complete disengagement in the Pangong Lake area so as to address and resolve all other remaining issues,” he added.