China said it is committed to peace even after the PLA`s aggressive move at Sikkim`s Naku La
Soldiers from India and China have clashed near the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Naku La area of Sikkim. On Monday, China said its troops were committed to maintaining peace along the disputed border with India.
Last week, the Indian troops stopped a People`s Liberation Army (PLA) from entering the Indian territory and this led to a clash in which several Chinese and Indian soldiers were injured. This incident happened after the ninth round of military talks that was held on Sunday.
“On the specific (incident) you mentioned, I don’t have any information to offer. I would like to stress though the Chinese border troops are committed to upholding peace and tranquility along the border with India,” Zhao Lijian, ministry spokesperson, said.
“We urge the Indian side to work in the same direction with us and refrain from actions that might escalate or complicate the situation along the border. We hope both will take proper actions to manage the differences and take concrete actions to safeguard the peace and stability along the border,” he added.
“I can confirm that a new round of talks has been held. The two sides upon agreement will release information in due course,” he said.
A joint statement issued after the eighth round of military talks on November 6 said, “The two sides had a candid, in-depth and constructive exchange of views on disengagement along the Line of Actual Control in the Western Sector of China-India border areas,” the statement said.
“Both sides agreed to earnestly implement the important consensus reached by the leaders of the two countries, ensure their frontline troops to exercise restraint and avoid misunderstanding and miscalculation.”
“Both sides agreed to maintain dialogue and communication through military and diplomatic channels, and, taking forward the discussions at this meeting, push for the settlement of other outstanding issues, so as to jointly maintain peace and tranquility in the border areas. They also agreed to have another round of meeting soon,” the statement added.
Both sides said, “they would maintain consultations through diplomatic and military channels, and the Indian side said the disengagement should be in line with existing bilateral agreements and protocols”.