Assam declared ‘disturbed area’ under AFSPA by Governor

Assam declared ‘disturbed area’ under AFSPA by Governor

Before the assembly polls in the state due in April-May, Assam Governor Jagdish Mukhi on Wednesday declared the entire state as a ‘disturbed area’ for six months beginning February 27.

“As per powers conferred under Section 3 of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958, the Governor of Assam has declared the entire state of Assam as ‘disturbed area’ up to six months beyond February 27, 2021, unless withdrawn earlier,” said a release issued by the state government.

The fresh order is an extension of a similar move in August 28 last year when the state was declared a ‘disturbed area’ for six months. Attacks on security forces in the northeast and recovery of large amounts of arms and ammunition from several parts of Assam had been cited as a reason for the move.

Though there is no official comment yet on the reason behind the extension, government sources said recovery of arms and ammunition in parts of the state could have prompted the Governor to extend AFSPA in Assam.

Share This

COMMENTS

Wordpress (0)
Disqus (0 )